Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Time for School

My co-worker, John, mentioned an author to me and, of course, my wife says, "Yeah, we have that book. That's why we homeschool." So I started reading it yesterday in the carpool. Here's a quote I like from the Introduction by David Alpert.
While there is always a need for a highly circumscribed number of technocrats to replace themselves, the Combine has only limited use for hundreds of millions of self-reliant, critically thinking individuals who engage in conversation and who determine their own needs as individuals and communities free of the Combine's enticements and commands.
Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, John Taylor Gatto
Yup. Gotta have your Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas and Epsilons. Never mind me. Have a soma.


No comments: