Monday, August 13, 2007

Baby Steps ... to the Farmers' Market

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been reading, and have now finished Plenty. This past week I decided that I'd get our veggies from the local farmers' market (LFM) and not the grocery store.

Nothing against our grocery store. They have an excellent health food section, organic fruits and veggies (pricy though as you might expect), and numerous store-brand organics selections. I am concerned to a certain extent how "real" they're keeping it after reading this white paper by The Cornucopia Institute. Note: Our grocery store is not mentioned in the white paper or the website, so I am not insinuating that there's anything funny about their organics.

Anyway, so as first baby steps to going local I went to our LFM. I've been there a couple times over the last 10 years to see what there was to see. Wasn't really impressed with what I saw. But this Saturday, they blew me away. Sweet corn, tomatoes, cukes (by the pail no less), zukes, red and white onions, green and yellow peppers, and much more. One farmer had peppers the size of a pea seed, which had me thinking, "fire hot peppers come in small packages".

Well, came away with these:
  • One bunch fresh dill (for cucumber salad): $1
  • Home defense zucchini for bread: $1
  • 8 ears of corn: $2
  • Tomatoes: 2 big ones/$1
  • 6 tennis-ball size yellow peppers: $2
  • 2 big green peppers: $1
  • One bunch basil: $1
  • 4 cukes: $2
  • 4 small zukes: $2
  • Total: $13
  • Shopping local, get fresh produce: priceless

I was giddy about the experience in a very manly way. :-)

Don't worry, I won't give a blow by blow of our produce bill. I was very pleased that good food came at a reasonable price.

The moral of the story is check out your LFM. You might be surprised...and well-fed.

Possibly with every post I'll include my place in the queue for Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. When I placed the request at the library I was #62 I think. Currently the wait is 74. Today I'm #54. :-) Seems like that book is about as hard to get as Packer season tickets around here. If you're not familiar, that list is over 40,000.

No comments: