Saturday, August 11, 2007

Welcome to The Lemming Awakening

"The Lemming Awakening? Are you calling me a lemming?"

The name is inspired by my friend's movie blog, The Lemming Apocalypse, and his other blog, The Great Lemming Revival. So I opted to join the The Lemming Media Group. Inside joke, sorry.

Maybe you will chuckle at the name or possibly be thinking, "Uh oh, this is gonna be one of those kinda blogs." With the "those kinda" being the whacked-out, extremist, anti-whatever, pro-whatever, fringe-thinking blogs that you just can't stand. Hmm, well, that might be. So stick around and find out.

The point of the blog is to create awareness and to promote these:
  • organic, sustainable agriculture
  • family farms
  • eating local
  • nutrition
  • cooking
  • living it out as a family
The lemming part comes in, as I'm defining it, as a lack of awareness. Do you know where your food comes from? Do know how it was grown? Do you know what that growing practice does/does not do to the environment or the food? Do you know what your food does to/for your body?

Lemming is tongue-in-cheek. There shouldn't be anything in this blog that indicates, "Those people are such total lemmings.", like I was using as an insult.

I'm hoping strike a balance between philosophizing, information, and our family's narrative. The book I've almost finished, Plenty by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon, is an example of what I'd like to do as a family and as a blog.

Stick around. This makes me think of a TV pilot. I hope I don't get canceled after the first episode. :-)

No comments: